Cats have been obligate carnivores for thousands of years. In order to thrive, they need to consume the bones, organs and meat of other animals. They have adapted to consuming these types of foods. Therefore, a natural diet cat food lifestyle to consider for your cat is a raw cat food diet.
To resemble the diet cat foods that a feline would eat in the wild, a diet that is rich in raw meats and complimented with fruits, grains, vegetables, enzymes, taurine and essential fatty acids is ideal. You may think that raw meats can bring the risk of bacterial infection. However, a feline is equipped with a highly acidic stomach environment. It can handle high levels of bacteria. In fact, cats in the wild rarely become ill because of foods that they eat. And, some of the foods that they consume are quite rancid. It is infections from injuries that feral felines more often fall victim to.
There are some precautions that you can take in order to minimize exposure to salmonella or E.coli when your cat consumes a diet cat food.
1. Buy natural fish from a reputable shop.
2. In order to help maintain good intestinal health for your cat, add probiotics to the food mixture you concoct for your pet.
3. When handling raw foods, practice good hygiene.
4. Dispose of uneaten foods within 30 minutes. Raw foods should not be left to sit out for too long.
5. It is always a good idea to research the proper diet for your animal – especially if you are formulating his/her meals at home. It can be quite time consuming to prepare a proper diet cat food for your pet. Always be certain that you are providing the proper nutritional balance to your pet.
6. Consider supplements formulated specifically for cats on a raw meat diet. This can ensure that your bases are covered and your cat is getting the nutrients it needs for good health.
Some of the preparations available in pet shops are dehydrated and need only to have water added to them. More and more better pet stores carry an assortment of raw cat foods that are nutritious and prepared for balanced diet cat food.
A pre-made preparation will save you time. It is important, however, to be certain you know the source of these foods. Become familiar with the manufacturing practices of the food makers. Read the labels to be sure the ingredients are pure and natural.
If you cannot find diet cat food preparations for your feline in the pet store, the internet is a good source for these prepared meals. Again, be aware of your source before purchasing any products.